"Wally Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am currently using a Revision B Grape iMac (333 MHz) running OS 9.2.2 with
a 120 GB Hard Drive. I have not made the jump to OS X.

I want to upgrade to a PowerBook (probably the 17 inch) and it comes with
Panther (OS 10.3.x) I believe. I still have a great many programs which I
use all the time that will not work in OS X -- mostly because they need to
be upgraded, but some do not offer anything beyond OS 9 anyway.

When OS X first came out there was a way to still run "Classic" applications
within OS X or still boot the computer into OS 9 for those applications
needing it. I'm not totally up to speed on how this worked but I will need
this capability until I can upgrade all my applications and even beyond for
those not offering any upgrade path.

My initial questions are:

What is the last (newest) PowerBook which offered the capability to still
run OS 9 applications?

Answering your specific question, new PowerBooks still run Classic applications. If you are happy with your applications under 9.2.2, those same applications will run in Classic mode with the PowerBook booted in OS X (now Panther 10.3.x). You will have to install those applications on the new machine. However, the new machines will not boot into OS 9. To buy a Mac to boot into OS 9, you would have to find an older, used model.

Frankly though, I do not know of a good reason from the applications point of view, to insist of buying a Mac that can boot OS 9. But a good reason might be buying used to save money. Another good reason might be that your printer, scanner, and whatever else you have plugged in to your old iMac may not run with OS X. You can check on that at the equipment vendors' web sites for your models to see if there are OS X drivers available for your equipment. Also, bear in mind that OS X now includes many drivers for old printers that are no longer supported by their makers. So the Apple list of drivers bears checking too.

Another angle on printers is that many sellers of Macintosh will throw a cheap inkjet printer into the deal for free.

Which operating system did it ship with?

All the latest dual boot machines probably included OS 9.2, which is what I received on my QuickSilver G4 made in 2001. It came with OS X v10.0.4, I think, which was horrid. Other folks can say whether the last dual boot machines came with 10.1 or 10.2.

Refer to:
for Macs that start up only in OS X. You can learn more by going to the web site of this list's sponsor,
http://www.lowendmac.com/

Look under Computer Profiles on the right side of the home page for specific models.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God, proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.