on 25/02/05 02:40, John Roberts at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Titanium Mercury (G4/400MHz). I'm now on my third CD/DVD
> drive. The first one stopped mounting discs after a year or so, the
> second one another year or two. I just bought and installed a
> refurbished one a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately started
> having trouble mounting discs.
>
> The same thing always happens. I insert the CD, it gets sucked in, it
> spins for a second or two, then stops. Then nothing happens. There
> doesn't seem to be any way to tell OSX that there's a disc in there. I
> then restart and try again.
>
> I have an external firewire CDRW that has no problems. I'm wondering if
> the problem isn't with the drives but with the Powerbook itself.

It sounds like a problem with the drive, once again, sorry...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.