Am finally cleaning out our last few Pismos, now fixing them up for sale.
Have found two that are giving me problems:

1) Pismo 500 had a ruined hard disk cable: the part that connects the HD to the logic board had a hole burned in it! I replaced the cable and popped a new HD in there, then tried to reboot. Got the usual startup bong, but then a blank grey screen. Have reset PRAM and power manager, but still grey screen. Was unable to boot from CD.
Have tried different processor, RAM and keyboard. Same grey screen.
Any ideas?

2) Pismo 400 that was working fine except for CD-DVD, which reads DVDs but not CDs. I have swapped a lot of Combos and Superdrives into the Pismo bay units over the years with 100% success rate. I've tried different Combos and a Superdrive with this unit, but there are a couple problems: the unit is not reported correctly in Apple System Profile, i.e. the model number has weird symbols in it (%, etc.); same with Patchburn; mounted disks are not recognized; the Combo and Superdrive are recognized in Toast 6, but I can't burn (error message).

The weird thing seems to be the drive versions being partially recognized. What could cause this? Defective slot on logic board that bay unit connects to? Is this part of logic board, or separate piece?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Chris

P.S. sorry for repeat post on powerlist, for all members there.