on 02/03/05 04:43, Larry le Mac at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> From: Claire Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> I'll tell you what came to mind when I read your post.
>> (1) If your preferences are NOT set to snap-to-grid, and
>> (2) you've been gathering a collection of icons all over your desktop, and
>> then
>> (3) you decide to switch your preferences TO snap-to-grid, and then
>> (4) you select SOME or ALL of your desktop items and drag them just a
>> little bit, then:
>>
>> The result is that each icon snaps to the closest "point" on the grid.
>> Some go up a little, some go down a little, some go left a little,etc...
>> They all do appear to "fly" a little, and they all end up in "the grid"
>> rather than random.
>>
>> Could that be what you are describing?
>
> No, much simpler.
>
> I have the setting to NOT snap to grid, i.e. default.
> 5-10 icons on the desktop, some on the right some on the left
> I place them roughly where I want them
> Select clean up or whatever (I use a Swedish system)
>
> Some icons jump to a different place and some icons are
> seemingly placed on top of another and so on, completely
> illogical.
>
> Oh, BTW I am completely aware of the grid system, on a
> Windoze pc you can adjust the grid distance by pixels.
>
> Then when I go to click on an icon it's not actually there
> even though it looks as if it is, and selecting them all shows
> their actual position which may be somewhere completely
> different.
>
> The HD icon doesn't tend to move though...

Well, Larry, that's how it works under OS X. So, unless you turn the grid
on, your icons will jump all over the place if you clean up. The Finder
doesn't apparently keep track of the icon that represents the HD. It's just
like any other icon to him...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.