A bunch of folks have written stuff ...
 >> Maybe the hard drive is starting to act up...

Actually, the 40 gig hard drive is only about 9 months old.... ??????

I understand, Tim, but, usually, when Disk Utility constantly reports errors, then there is something with the drive. Also, if, at some point, the system tries to access a file that is corrupted because in an invalid sector of the drive, that could explain the system crash.

I've had considerably better results over disc utility with Disk Warrior. Its a 1 trick pony, but nothing else out there does the trick as well. It rebuilds the disc directory and all the linkage to files. Before doing that it checks to see if the disc seems damaged.

It doesn't quite address your question, but I'd suggest considering purchasing yourself a copy of Disk Warrior and seeing what it tells you. I've had it repair disks that had the same issue you've seen, the Apple supplied disc utility repeatedly fixes things only to say there's a problem if you immediately run it again.

And I also would suggest an immediate backup of any important files, you definitely have disc troubles.

Just my $0.08 (adjusted for inflation;)

Brian