On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Bruce Ryan wrote:

Dear Listers

Can I tell you a shaggy dog story and then ask for some advice, please? (If not, please just delete this mail!)

Got myself a 400MHz Pismo recently. Love it to bits for the look alone but I want to go wireless with it. (I have a wireless router that's accessed by my flatmate's PC and - via ethernet - my G4/400)

Nice machine, I just got a similar one myself.

Fell for an eBay advert for an 802.11g cardbus card that apparently would work with a mac - and won the auction. Here's the rub. The manufacturers say it will work with a mac but only under OSX. OSX is slow enough on a G4/400MHz with 384MB RAM. I hate to think how slow it'll be on a G3/400 with 128MB. (I do have an extra 512MB and a 30GB hard disk arriving soon.)

Actually 10.3 is about as fast on mine as OS 9. Not bad at all. The 128 megs is a big issue.

So, do any of the assembled multitude have a clue if the card (Buffalo technology WLI-CB-G54A-3) can be jinxed into working under OS9?

Nope. 802.11g drivers are not available under OS 9. While the card itself is 802.11b compatible, that doesn't mean it uses Airport drivers.

Will OSX be as slow as I fear, even with the bigger hard disk and more RAM?

Particularly if the disk is 5400 RPM, the Pismo should run OS X quite usably.

I wonder what are you doing that's making the G4/400 feel slow? (or what you're comparing it to...yes, a new Dual G5 will make the Pismo feel poky; but that can be cured by resting it on your lap or carrying it around the house for a while ;-)

I have an 800 Mhz G4 at work, and a G4/450 upgraded Beige, the Pismo, and a Tangerine iBook at home, all running OS X 10.3 or 10.2 (the beige).

All are usable. They're slower than the G4 at work, but not as much as the difference in processor speeds would have it.

The Pismo, in fact, feels roughly about the same speed as the Beige doing most things; it's got a PC100 bus which helps a fair bit.

--
(The Other) Bruce