On 3/19/05 2:48 PM, "Andrea M. Stansbury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wanted to add some RAM.  I have a graphite iBook clamshell, no firewire.  It
> has 128MB of RAM on it now, what would it take to upgrade to say... 256 or
> higher?  And upgrading the harddrive?  It comes with the standard 6gb hard
> drive.  Mostly it's the RAM.  Are there any considerations for installing it
> myself?  Would I have to reinstall the mac OS?  Thanks.

Shortly before I sold my tangerine iBook I installed a 512 MB stick of RAM
making it a very happy camper. When the iBooks came out the largest SODIMM
made was a 256 stick so that's the limit that Apple certified it as but as
many of us found, it happy accepted the 512 stick.  When you upgrade the RAM
be very careful with the keyboard. It is pretty easy to jam the plastic
retainers at the top (where the function keys are).

The hard drive is something of a challenge. There are three thousand parts
to remove to get to the hard drive and two thousand nine hundred and ninety
eight to replace. Two screws inevitably remain when the job is done, I think
they procreate while you aren't paying attention. Actually only the first
and last sentence of this paragraph are true, all else is exaggeration for
humorous affect.

Google 'iBook hard drive upgrade' and you'll find a nice set of instructions
complete with photos of how to do the upgrade. I did one a week before that
website went active.

david