An archive and install is a great way to get a new,
clean system on the Mac (ala "Clean" install of OS 9
days).

However, you will encounter serious problems if you
don't update the Mac immediately after doing an
archive and install. I did this once and tried to open
Mail and some other apps they immediately crashed with
an unexpected error. The Mail version was at OS
10.3.5. The archive and install put it back to 10.3.0.
Once updated, all was well.