On 5 Apr 2005, at 22:20, G-Books wrote:

Subject: Pismo DVD problem

I have recently bought two PowerBooks from a used Mac dealer. The
Pismo so far has had a dead battery, mailed back to the seller, and is
having issues mounting DVDs. When we got it we put a movie in and
nothing happened, but the second movie worked fine. It can use CDs
just fine but will not mount any of our DVD movies. I have installed
software from CD-ROM, played music CDs and loaded CD-Rs, they all work
fine. It had 9.2 installed which updated it's self to the latest and
greatest. I've tried resetting every thing and still nothing. Any
suggestions before I pester the seller again? He's a really nice guy
and I don't want to bother him if it's a simple fix.

Unfortunately it's a pretty common problem with Pismo DVDs, especially given their age now. They often have work only "half" right, i.e., the either read CDs fine but not DVDs, or vice versa. Really no good fix for them, you'll have to look for a new DVD/CD; though while you're at it you might as well get a Combo CDRW/DVD or a Superdrive. Lots of good cheap models are perfectly compatible. See the web site www.xlr8yourmac.com for a good database and feedback on specific models that work. If you can get a partial refund from the guy, say $40 or so, that might be the way to go, as you could find a Combo on ebay for the same money.
Good luck.
Chris