On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Lorance Stinson wrote:

I have recently bought two PowerBooks from a used Mac dealer. The
Pismo so far has had a dead battery, mailed back to the seller, and is
having issues mounting DVDs. When we got it we put a movie in and
nothing happened, but the second movie worked fine. It can use CDs
just fine but will not mount any of our DVD movies.

The LG CD/DVD drives in the Pismos are notoriously flaky.

Wegener Media sells replacements and kits to put in other drives, up to Superdrives that are pretty reasonably priced, relatively speaking.

In mine I came across a working slot-loading CDRW/DVD drive from a defunct TiBook. The drive fit right onto the carrier and plugged right in.

There's no bezel on it, so it's just hanging out there. I may get ambitious and see if I can retrofit the one from the broken drive, but that's going to involve some serious Dremel work.

XLR8YourMac.com has reports of various modules that are known to work with the Pismo.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona