amanda:
i had that same machine for 2 years. it is a bit slow, but great and sturdy to carry around. i maxed out the ram, though, please consider doing that too asap.
1-you need the old type card. look and ye shall find. they are more expensive nowadays than the newer cards. mine had it and it worked well. no problems with reception. actually, it was better than the ti book.
2- sure, you could do that, but i chose the firewire enclosure for 2 reasons: they are bootable and you don't need an additional power supply.
3- i ran os 10.3.8 without any problems in the ibook. just remember: it is not fast, but it is more than acceptable. i mostly used it for the same things and the occasional dvd watching. one thing: the isight won't work with it because it needs g3 550+.
good luck!
gladys