Curious . . was the 512 module recommended by the manufacturer for both machines?

dklj

On Apr 12, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Francesco sciacca wrote:

thanks for all the suggestions. After way too long down time, it turns out
that the 512 RAM module I has added appears to be the culprit. Disk turned
out to be fine, checked with SMARTD. Replacing the original 256 MB module
restored stability.

I'm puzzled as the 512 module is a 512mb PC133 SO-DIMM CAS3 pulled from a
iBook G3 (in which it works very well) and this is exactly the kind of RAM
used by the PB G4 1GHz. It has also exactly the same labels on it as the
original 256 sticks, it looks the same, same brand, except for being
sligthly shorter in height. I'm not sure if this is to be considered 3rd
party RAM? It has also worked with no problems since I installed it, just
until all hell broke loose with the latest software updates.

So the message here is for those attempting to up their RAM without being
robbed by Apple: be very careful. I'm not sure whether it's the OS or the
machine hardware responsible for this pickyness about RAM, either way it's
highly irritanting (to me at least).

cheers and thanks again for the help,
gianfranco

I had a similar experience on an older PB about a month ago. Stability
was good before I increased the RAM. Very poor stability with the new
RAM. Stability returned with the original chips. As it turned out the
backward compatibility as shown on the packaging was wrong.

It is also possible that the iLife installation CD is corrupted or has
been
damaged. Did you had any 3rd party memory in that PowerBook? Is this
the
original hard disk? What Titanium model is this? When rebooting from
the
system install disk, did you make sure that no peripheral were
connected?
Specially USB peripherals, like mouse and/or keyboard?

-- +++ NEU: GMX DSL_Flatrate! Schon ab 14,99 EUR/Monat! +++

GMX Garantie: Surfen ohne Tempo-Limit! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |