--- Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> brown, brown /white, green, green/white, blue,
> blue/white, orange,
> orange/white are how mine go
8<snip
the above sequence is like mine, with the proviso that
it is reading left to right with the 'tang' away from
you and the cable end pointing down

>, but as long as you
> make both sides the
> same, should not matter
8<
It's true, it wouldn't matter for that use, but if it
were put in in the reverse order, a tech looking at
one end might think it was a crossover cable, not
checking the other end.
And if it was just put together in any old order, a
tech who noticed the scramble would have to examine
the other end minutely to see that it would work for a
regular (non-crossover and correctly constructed)
ethernet cable.

There's something to be said for consistency...though
what, I don't know.