Is true that PC card wireless cards are cheaper and
easier to find than Airport cards. I too have an
Airport in my iBook G3 900.

It's important to understand that the protocol used to
communicate over a network is TCP/IP and wireless
802.11b/g. These protocols are not platform specific.

To give you an idea, let's use my home network as an
example. I have a cable modem, Linksys Wireless B
router, two Mac desktops running wired to the router;
one iBook with Airport, and one Win XP laptop with a
Linksys wireless B PC card. The standard of
communications wirelessly is 802.11b. The router
doesn't care if it's an iBook running OS X or Win XP
with any wireless PC card.

iBooks don't have a PC card slot, so a PC card
wireless card is not an option. There are very few PC
cards that do work with Macs. They only work with
PowerBooks since they have PC card slots in them.

I prefer Linksys over D-link for quality and trouble
free usage. When you get the router don't bother
running any install programs (probably won't have an
installer for Mac anyway) since they are not needed.
Each router has a way for the router to be accessed
through a web page interface. You'll see directions
for that in the manual. This is important because you
will want to lock down your wireless network with a
WEP to keep folks from using your wireless signal to
surf w/o your knowledge.