On 4/13/05 2:31 PM, "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Your iPod whirring is the hard drive and if it were due to a really fragged
drive you would probably be hearing a whir and clicking or scratching too.
The clicking/scratching would be the heads moving back and forth seeking the
next cluster. You are likely to notice the whirring sound more in a quiet
environment and when you are looking for it. I suspect it is nothing to
worry about.

As for your jump drive - having lost one myself (actually I suspect it was
stolen by a student hoping to find test information) - I simply created an
encrypted disk image and put it on the drive. Just make it a wee bit smaller
than the drive. Sure, it can be formatted but at least the scum can't access
my data. If you want more protection, on Engadget I saw a jump drive with
biometric security...a bit overkill unless you work for SD 6.

david