At 10:58 am -0400 18/04/05, G-Books wrote:
On 18/04/05 09:31, "Mark Kippert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I've had a problem running Software Update on my PowerBook (error
 encountered...) so I ran TechTool Pro 4. It found one bad block on my hard
 drive but it doesn't have the capability to repair (map out) the bad block.
 Does anybody have a suggestion for a utility that can, short of zeroing the
 drive?

Dear Mark,

I don't know any utility that can do that. You'll probably have to
reinitialize the disk...

WAIT!! you don't need to do that. Use FWB hard disk toolkit, which can remap on the fly with a non-destructive test. This is the best disk software I know of.

Oh yes, don't use the computer at all until you fix it. If you hit that block, you're in trouble.

It is expensive. Um, how can I put this? If you know how to use an FTP client, someone told me that they seem to have left the golden master images lying around on their server in the /pub directory. It probably would be illegal and unethical to download it. :-)

Of course, if you have a backup, you could just reinitialse as suggested.

Ben
--
The VidaVerde Seed Collection
Brithdir Mawr Farm

Excellent Vegetables For the Kitchen Garden:
Illustrated Catalogue at http://www.realseeds.co.uk
Or call 01239 821107 for a paper copy.