Hi all,

I have a problem with my recently purchased 15'' Powerbook G4, and I'd
appreciate any input you may be able to offer. I've already had one
support call logged with Apple, but my reasoning behind posting here
first before I call them again is so that I can gather all available
information that may be relevant. I'm somewhat new to Macs, having
come from a Unix background (primarily Solaris).

To cut a long story short, I've been having trouble with the power
supply that came with the powerbook. The first one I had blew up with
an audible "pop" noise, and the laptop went completely dead - black
screen, no power, nothing - despite having a fully charged battery
available. After disconnecting the PSU, I turned the laptop back on,
and it seemed OK. I sent the psu back to Apple, and got a replacement;
now it seems that this one is playing up.

At intervals, the power supply turns itself off. The green/amber light
at the tip of the plug goes out, and the laptop switches to battery
power. Unplugging the power supply, waiting 30 seconds and then
plugging it back in seems to solve the problem. However, a few nights
ago the light went out, and the laptop suddenly shut itself down
again.

I have discovered (through digging through
/private/var/log/system.log) that on both occasions when the laptop
shut itself down, on restart the date was set to Jan 01, 1908 and
there was an error message complaining the the PMU has been reset. It
may be a coincidence, but both times the laptop switched off, there
was an iPod plugged in at the time.

I have since tried manually resetting the PMU myself, but I was
wondering if there were any additional diagnostics I could run that
may further narrow the problem down, or other logs I could examine. Is
it likely to be just a PSU issue, or is it likely to be the case that
there is a problem with the laptop itself ?  I have read many pages on
the 'web describing problems with Apple's power units, but have so far
not come across anyone experiencing the sudden shutdown issue that
I've had.

Any pointers or information much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Mark