Chad Swarthout wrote:

I don't know why you would want to.  You should NEVER create accounts
that can be accessed without a password, as they are a vulnerability.

Plus, with a unix-based operating system, it wouldn't surprise me if
this is prohibited for exactly that reason.

Mr. Swarthout,

Every use has a different paradigm of use. For that reason, every user's security methodology is and should be different.

In my case, I have an Apple iBook. This is a machine I do not let out of my site. At the same time there are moments I would like to allow my friends to quickly access the machine on an account other than my own. This will allow them to access certain functionality while at the same time prevent them from easily accessing secure files and settings.

Knowing my friends I am aware of their computer capabilities. Further, being in the general proximity of the use, if they are spending the significant amount of time and effort to break through OS X's security then I will be close enough to most likely catch a glimpse of their activities and put an end to it.

Now, having said this, someone using a desktop system which remains in a static location of any sort of public setting would be someone to which I would not recommend a Guest account. In the end, in such a situation you never know who might gain access to your device and how much time they might have to be able to break through any security measures in place.

So, different users in different circumstances should and can use different security methodology. The important thing is to understand your security risks, your security settings, and how they affect one another.

On a side-note, Apple must believe this is not as important -- at least on my iBook. It was set initially to boot directly into my account with no logon or password requirements.

So, hope that clarifies why some of us are crazy enough to put a guest account on our computers. :-)

Besides, what's life without a bit of danger?  (G)

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon