Think I'm making progress nursing my new-to-me Wallstreet 266 back to health.

Visited this link on Steve K's suggestion: http://www.macintouch.com/laptopbatt.html, and the results include:
- Booted into Open Firmware and did a "reset-nvram" return "reset-all" return. My new battery is now "seen" by the 'Book (in the right bay at least; no joy in the left). I'm leaving the WS plugged in overnight with the battery installed to see if it charges.
- Also reset the PMU (again), just for good measure.
- I'm still concerned about the left bay - which is for battery only, not big enough for expansion drives. Can't use two batteries at once, nor battery and expansion drive at the same time. Anyone else seen this kind of thing in their 'Book? Is the power board between the bays the likely culprit here?
- Turning off the menu bar battery charge icon in the Date & Time control panel in OS 9 seems to be helping - I couldn't boot into Open Firmware with it on. I know that's the oddest sounding fix, but one guy mentioned in the MacInTouch battery discussion that it resolved a charging problem with his iBook.

Another issue is 256 MB SO-DIMMs. I bought a two-DIMM set specifically for Wallstreet from Data Memory Systems, and I can't boot with them installed. I get either the "breaking glass" memory warning sound, or (after zapping PRAM) a crash with "System Error - bus error" message just after the OS 9.2 splash screen. Disabling extensions doesn't help, can't get past that point. Tried starting up with just the lower 256 installed, same results. Reinstalled the two 64's I replaced and we're back in business.

Any further thoughts about all this, or info about similar experiences welcome.

Pax,
--
Gene, a.k.a. G-Man
Friends don't let friends do Windows