On May 7, 2005, at 7:49 AM, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

In my opinion, Apple needs to SLOW DOWN.

They have. 10.4 took longer than any other upgrade to come out of the gate. It has a LOT under the hood that makes OS X a much better OS. Apple has said they're looking at 18-24 month cycles for future OS releases.

They should have just stuck with Panther for a while, and focused their developing efforts to bring back the Newton,

This will never happen for a variety of reasons, but mostly that the PDA market is stagnant.

Apparently everyone wants com combine everything into the cell phone, so we'll have a half-assed PDA, a half-assed camera, a half-assed MP3 player, a half-assed web browser, a half-assed video player, a half-assed game console, and oh, yeah, a phone...all in one bundle. And inevitably the japanes will have one that is better, but unavailable outside Japan.

But what do I know...I'm a non-cell carrying luddite.

Yes, I'd dearly love a Pocket-PC sized Newton-OSX uber PDA device. I cherish my Newts, but like everyone pining for their Studebaker, Packard or Cord, those were glorious days, but they're not coming back...

and concentrate on a G5 PowerBook / iBook.

I'm sure they're working on them, but these are HARD problems to solve, and most of the work is being done by IBM at this point. I also suspect that a dual-core G4 is going to make a better laptop system than a G5.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona