On May 13, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Van Snyder wrote:

I'm in the market for a new printer.  In the past, I have been an
advocate of HP - though lately I'm wondering if they haven't dropped
the ball.

In particular, I'm looking at the Canon Pixma ip4000, ip4000r, or
ip6000d. . . Anybody have any experience with the Pixma line?  . . .
I would consider an all-in-one if there is one that image capture
works well with - so that I can share it as a scanner and a printer

This isn't exactly what you're asking about, but I have the HP 2510 all-in-one (AIO) - it networks out of the boxed, wired or wireless. It's GREAT to have one machine that any computer in our house can print to without worrying whether the computer it's hooked to is awake (because this one doesn't hook to any one computer), and I've NEVER had problems printing to it. We got the duplexing attachment.

It does, however, occasionally disappear from view for scanning purposes. Sometimes it just disappears from the view of the scanning utility and just restarting the scan utility works. (I generally scan from the HP icon in the dock, though I could acquire from GC if I wanted to.) Sometimes turning the AIO off & on works, or pulling the plug. But sometimes nothing seems to get my PB find it on the network - the printer utilities and the scanning utility can't find it, but I can still print to it just fine, go figure! - and I just go ahead & reinstall the printer driver - there might be something less extreme, but I haven't found anything yet & reinstalling is faster than futzing around.

But then, my Canon USB scanner before wasn't always recognized - the only fully reliable scanner I've ever had was a 2nd-hand low-end Microtek SCSI scanner I reluctantly retired when I replaced my WallStreet. I've heard people complain about SCSI being flakey - never for me!

All in all, I like having the all-in-one & I like having it networked so it can sit in its own little corner somewhere.

Anne