At 4:54 PM -0700 5/17/05, Gene Osburn wrote:
Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wants to know:

What's your best idea of the wisest way to maintain the greatest
functionality of an iBook 500 battery?

Are these batteries damaged by allowing them to become completely
discharged?

Are they damaged by leaving them (in the iBook) connected to the AC adapter
even after they're fully recharged?
----------

I just bought a new Lithium-Ion battery for my Wallstreet, and from what research reading I've done on battery care this is how *I'll* take care of mine:

1) I won't leave the battery in the 'Book while running on AC adapter power. Apple recommends against this practice for Li-Ion's in its PowerBooks.

Have you got a cite for this?

I can't see Apple suggesting this and to the best of my recollection I've seen the opposite. It's inconvenient. The battery is needed as ballast to keep the computer from tipping over. The battery acts as a UPS. In working with my used Wallstreet for two years I left two batteries in all the time and it's still running great. If the power manager / charger is working right it won't matter.

2) I'll "top up" the charge at least a couple of times per month.

3) I'll "exercise" the battery regularly. Running your 'Book on battery power at least a couple of times per week is actually good for the battery.

4) I'll calibrate the battery every couple of months. Run on battery power until 'Book gives the low power warning and goes to sleep. Then immediately plug in AC adapter and allow the battery to fully recharge.

5) I'll wrap it up and store it in the refrigerator (NOT THE FREEZER!) whenever I leave it idle for more than a few days at a time.

Lithium-Ion batteries don't like to be completely drained; it shortens their life.

Me, I just use the computer and don't worry over much about the battery. -- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting