At 11:24 AM -0700 5/26/05, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On May 26, 2005, at 10:40 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

CRTs are nasty items. An average 17" monitor holds 7.5 pounds of lead
(protecting you from those radioactive isotopes).

There are NO radioactive isotopes in CRT's!

Well there are but only the naturally occurring ones.

The lead is there to provide shielding to/from the magnetic fields moving the electron beams.

Lead doesn't shield magnetic fields. The lead does shield (partially) the artificial radiation produced by a 10-25KV electron beam hitting the screen.

Besides the lead is inside the sweep coils, kind of hard to shield something that way.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA