On 27/05/05 10:28, "Aase Marit Waage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Ooooh, I loved those monitors too!!!! When I was in college, I switched
> from a stationary PC to a PowerBook, in 1992. Then a while after, I was
> having my finals. When I had tests, the school set up a computer for me
> in a separate room. After switching, I asked if it would be possible to
> get a Mac, but didn't really think they could do it, since the college
> only used PC's. But when I came, they had set up a Mac with one of those
> screens. After that, I got that screen every time I had a test. I just
> loved it, especially for such a situation, I often produced around 20
> pages for a full day exam. If others who also used computers sat in the
> same room, they all had PC's with ordinary screens, they envied my
> screen so bad, because they had to take print-outs all the time... With
> that screen, I never felt a need to do that, I just printed when I was
> done... I would still say that those screens are perfect for those who
> write a lot... For black and white writing, they sure do the trick and
> then some... Would be neat with an LCD like that...
>

> Aase :)
>
> On May 26, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Rick McCutcheon wrote:
>
>> Hear, hear!  This whole subject niggles at me constantly.  I've got a
>> lovely old monochrome portrait monitor that I used for a long time
>> with a IIci because I love to see a whole page up on the screen

With the recent ATI video cards, at least the Radeon 9700 in my PowerBook,
you can rotate the picture on an external LCD.

So, suppose you have a widescreen one, and suppose you could physically
rotate the display 90°, then you can go in the Display preference pane and
instruct the system to rotate the picture. I did it with the 19" display
I've got to replace my CRT.

So, maybe not a real full page display, but pretty close!

-Laurent.