On 3 Jun 2005, at 08:54, Pacer wrote:

My Fellow PowerBook-philes,

...Well..... One of them is real nice, an upgraded Wallstreet to 466 Mhz
and with full RAM.  I have Mac OS X.2.8 running on it.

But the screen does this funky thing where the backlight on the LCD
stops working when it boots up.  To fix it, all you need to do is hit
the "brightness" button.  When it goes to sleep, however, it seems to
not want to come back up.

I have read on Lowendmac.com (I'll find this link later) that if you
boot into OS 9, let it go to sleep, then bring it back up, boot back
into OS X then it should be fixed.  (At least until you let your
batteries die while your Wallstreet is asleep again.)

I have a WS I that had the same issues only in in X.2.x. When I upgraded to X.3.x, the backlighting and display sleep went away problems and never came back. I will admit that I have never tried putting the hard drive to sieep because I used to have an old Travelstar 20 GB that would lock up if it did. I never changed the setting after I changed the hard drive.

If you don't have Panther or you don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading (the upgrade requires you to use Xpostfacto 3), let the buyer put it on the machine. Take X off. The machine is upgradeable and runs X.3 competently even with only 160 MB's, which is all I have on mine. It's not blazing fast; it's useable if all the buyer wants is to do word processing, reading mail, and surfing the internet. I know that the more memory there is the better the machine operates; I simply haven't put it on this one.

Forget all this other stuff. It doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle, especially if you want to sell it.

Well....  sounds easy to fix, yes?  No.

I have an OS 9.1 install disk. It is a backup copy of a broken one, so
it is a CD-R.

I can't install OS 9 with it.  (Won't boot into OS 9.)

I then tried to copy over an OS 9 folder which works booting another
Wallstreet which only runs OS 9 by copying it onto a Flash Card and then
back into the OS 9 folder.

No dice.  Won't boot.

What I do is go to System Preference-> Startup Disk and then choose the
OS 9 partition with the OS 9 start folder.

I then reboot and it reboots into a gray screen.  I then have to spend
the next half-hour to an hour trying to convince it to reboot into the
Mac OS X.2 install CD I have and then I have to reinstall OS X.  (BTW,
the LCD Backlight will not work when doing this.  Loads of fun.)

I'd really like to resell this computer at least at the same price I
bought it at, maybe more, and I think I would be able to do so if I
could 1) get the backlight working and/or 2) get OS 9 to dual boot on it.

I could really use the money in order to look into upgrading my GF's
Pismo to use iSight (if possible) or just paying down some credit cards
before I go to law school.

Does anyone have ANY ideas on what I can do???