My Fellow PowerBook-philes,

Well, I wrassled, and then wrestled, with my PowerBook Wallstreet with the processor upgrade (466 mhz CPU, probably from NewerTech) and have come to the following conclusion:
My processor upgrade is incompatible with OS 9.

It does work with OS X.2, however.

OSX.2 has the screen backlight going dark, though.

So the thought is maybe trying to install OS X.3, but then I have an issue with no OS X.3 disks.

I need to recoup all costs on this machine plus some profit to make up for some of the loss on another machine (a PowerBook Wallstreet, 1gig HD, 233mhz) which I will inevitable have.

I don't see being able to do this without getting the screen problem fixed, so I will probably have to try and find some OS X.3 CDs for cheap.

(I tried doing an install of OS X.4 on a Pismo, then switching the drive like I heard you could do for a Lombard, but no dice ....)

I sure wish I knew why my CPU won't work with OS 9, though.

If anyone has had a similar experience, let me know. I am not sure if the CPU upgrade is a NewerTech one or some other company (it IS a 466mhz G3, that much I DO know).

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon.

James Sanderson wrote:

I have a WS I that had the same issues only in in X.2.x. When I upgraded to X.3.x, the backlighting and display sleep went away problems and never came back. I will admit that I have never tried putting the hard drive to sieep because I used to have an old Travelstar 20 GB that would lock up if it did. I never changed the setting after I changed the hard drive.

If you don't have Panther or you don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading (the upgrade requires you to use Xpostfacto 3), let the buyer put it on the machine. Take X off. The machine is upgradeable and runs X.3 competently even with only 160 MB's, which is all I have on mine. It's not blazing fast; it's useable if all the buyer wants is to do word processing, reading mail, and surfing the internet. I know that the more memory there is the better the machine operates; I simply haven't put it on this one.

Forget all this other stuff. It doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle, especially if you want to sell it.