I've been using a Canon i960 for about a year now, from time to time. ...
Anyway, I'm considering replacing the printer

My not too humble $0.02's worth on this subject. Since the cost of ink is the biggest cost factor with these things, just buy the cheapest on sale at the local box store (Comp-USA, Walmart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc) that you can and use cheapo replacement inks. If it stops working in 2 years, the money you saved between the printer and ink will more than pay for another printer, which will be at least slightly faster and quieter than your current model. Perhaps even consider the Epson Photo line, with their 5 color carts instead of the standard 3, or one of the HP's that use the 5 color system (I don't know what they call their line).

For example (using Espon since that's what I use since it prints on CD/DVD), list price: Cheapest Epson - C66 $70 (but no Mac drivers) C86 $100, cheapest Epson Photo - R200 $100.

Since the list is the same between the non-photo version and photo version, well just get the photo version. Of course you'll see the C86 on sale more often than the R200 ;) and the C66 on sale even more often :(

And as a bonus, you can print your own CD/DVD, provided you bought inkjet printable media.

Brian