On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:54 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 04:08 PM -0700 06/16/2005, Bruce Johnson wrote:

He also points out that Intel is going to a company that has as much engineering smarts as they do, someone who can partner with them on new chip and motherboard design, a company that, unlike Dell or Microsoft, is also an engineering company at heart.

*nod* A combo that lets them create system architectures that aren't dictated and dumbed down by MS. What a concept. :)

Yes and no. MS doesn't dictate hardware or system architectures. So long as drivers are there MS windows could run on anything.

However, they also don't *help* Intel build systems, which is Welch's point.

The potential exists for some really fruitful collaboration between Apple and Intel that will move both their products ahead.

This will trickle down to the Windows world, Intel knows who buys MOST of their chips after all, but Apple will get first use of them, meaning Apple WILL be able to say 'we're faster than any Dell', and Apple will get a chunk of what Intel makes selling them, too.

This, however, is a generation or more down the road. We're talking 2010-era stuff now.

(WHERE'S MY PAN-AM SHUTTLE TICKET TO THE ORBITAL HILTON!!!???)

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'