> I really wanted it to just work at the OS 9.2. level as my kajillion apps
> of
> graphics software match that system...and I can do all I want at that
> level...i even still use a pencil to draw.

> > As a former Lombard owner I can empathize. It had a serious flaw on wake
> up
> > and was known as the "sleep of death". It would be worth it to send it

I own and use a Lombard since 6 years and in my experience, in the pre-OS X
days, random freezes and/or crashes were predominantly due to conflicting
extensions (third party stuff) and lousy freeware randomly installed.

Temporary instabilities also in the sleep/non-slpeep/wake-from-sleep
department were also in my case due to the same reason.

If you want to tackle your case, you should firstly make sure to the best
extent that the basics of the hardware seems ok. That is, as previously
suggested, make sure that RAM cards (both), processor daughtercard, hard
drive cable, are all properly seated. After that, you have to go through the
painstaking process of sorting out extensions and control panels:

1) Boot the Lombard with all extension off (pressing the space-bar? I can't
remember...). Run like that, chek for freezes. If not:

2) Use the "Extension Manager" control panel and select "OS 9 only", or
something along these lines. Run like that, chek for freezes. If not:

3) Add, one by one (or a few at the time, again from the "Extension Manager"
control panel) additional extensions, taking care of not selecting anything
you do not strictly need for your work. Run like that, etc

Since this this process will take you sooooome time, I would suggest (if you
pass step 1) and possibly 2)), you just back up your data and re-install the
OS afresh, after which, make sure you install only the stuff you strictly
need for your work. Of course there's also the chance of some hardware
fault, but it's advisable you get your software sorted first, unless you
have the bits and pieces to check the hardware (like spare RAM, etc...)

Lombard with OS 9.2 is a great machine, Finder is way more responsive than
my 1 GHz Titanium running Panther and graphics apps work a charm (at least
on mine, 333 MHz, 384 MB RAM)

cheers,
gianfranco

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++