You can hook up an external Monitor to an iBook, but it will only mirror the
display from the iBook. So if the top resolution of the iBook is 1024 x 758
that's what the external monitor will be. Since the iBook can only mirror
the external display, both the iBook and external monitor will show the same
thing.

If you want your external monitor to support higher resolutions, and be
treated as separate device, you need to get a PowerBook.

Hope that makes since.
--
Aaron Willems
IT Administrator