On Jun 21, 2005, at 2:22 PM, simon goslin wrote:

the scenario:
graphic designer and cartographer (map maker) who wants to buy a new/second hand mac who's a bit confused over which one to buy... mac mini or powermac g4 (quicksilver)?

the expected outcome:
someone to say don't be a muppet, buy the quicksilver you fool, mac mini's are [EMAIL PROTECTED] or are they ok? do they get all sweaty and overheat at times when the going gets tough, or do they just sit there and purr nicely even when asked do to difficult things?

the final thought:
i'd love a powermac g5 but i have a life outside of design and would rather spend my cash on other things such as beer, women, food and surf trips.

Mac Mini- pros: new and under warranty, already has Tiger. Fast processor. Cons: very slow internal hard drive, memory upgrade isn't for the faint of heart, though not all that hard really, lots of complaints from people using the VGA adapter and CRTs. LCD complaints are minimal but a graphic designer may not want to use an LCD.

QuickSilver- pros: easily expandable memory, PCI cards, and drives, newer models can handle 2 displays with the default video card, fast hard drive. cons: owner responsible for repairs, G4 processor slower than the Mac-Mini, may have to buy Panther or Tiger for an added expense.

Having used both my take is this: If your friend intends to use a CRT I'd take the QuickSilver hands down. If he'll be using an LCD I'd go with the MacMini and an external firewire drive. The internal drive is seriously that slow.

Finally, if your friend doesn't already have a monitor/LCD to plug in and intends to use an LCD, I'd consider G5 iMac too.

david