I guess the responses to my post sum up the the core question.

 Which card brands will work BOTH under OS9 and OSX?

Also, I don't have Tiger installed yet either, so wondering if there is an app out there (like the Tiger Widget) that gives you signal strengths under Panther?

Thanks for the ideas.  Dave

a while ago i installed a belkin card in my aunt's lombard. it only works in os x, not in 9, but she is very pleased with it and has had no problems. hope it helps. g

I am using Orinoco Gold Classic Card for my Lombard running 9.2.2 It works great... Kristina

For the card to be recognized in OS 9, you need to make sure you find an older card. For OS X, you will need additional driver so make sure you check the compatibility list of the driver before buying a card. -Laurent.