At 3:31 PM -0400 6/22/05, David Lesher wrote:
At 02:53 PM 6/22/2005, you wrote:
Decided today to try to get a little more life out of
the old Wallstreet by putting in a new hd. I had a 30g
Hitachi i bought six months ago and stuck it in.
Holding down the C key I tried to boot to the 10.2
disk, but only got the flashing question mark. This
made no sense so I tried resetting pram, power
manager, tried an external keyboard, used a zip with
9.1 on it, and diskwarrior but no luck.

Wasn't there some issue with the magnet that senses if the case is closed, and some HD's
tripping it falsely?

There is an issue but it just causes the computer to not always wake up after you open the lid and hit a key.

BTW a simple fix for this problem is to open the lid and turn the computer around while tapping a key. Since this always worked on my WS I never bothered trying the magnetic shielding.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA