On 23/06/05 13:03, "Ben Woodard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments, but I don't think We have
> hit the solution yet.
>
> I did format the hd on my G4 and partioned with the
> 8gb. I then put the drive  back in the WS and it did
> the same thing.
>
> I haven't tried the metal strip because I thought this
> was related only to sleep issues and newer drives did
> not have the problem. Could be wrong.
>
> I tried to boot with a os 9 disk, my diskwarrior disk
> and even os 8  to no avail.
>
> It seems to be a problem with booting from the cd. I
> can do it with the old drive, but not the new. Should
> it be possible to boot without a hd in the computer -
> with just a start up disk? Or does the computer have
> to see a hd even if there is no OS on it? Maybe there
> is something wrong with the new drive.

I did follow this thread and I think that the CD drive is bad for some
reason. You shouldn't have all those problems to boot from a startup CD
specially that you tried many of them. Of course, it's had to be sure until
you replace the CD drive. You don't have to have a hard disk with a system
on it to boot from a startup CD.

-Laurent.