On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Peter Saint James wrote:

Several months ago, we discussed using or not using surge suppressors with Powerbooks, and I found out the hard way that we came to an erroneous conclusion.

We concluded that the power adapter would protect the Powerbook from a surge. Turns out this is not true.

I have to admit that the surge to my book was a big one. A bolt of lightening hit near my house. It knocked out the surge suppressor then continued on, zapping the printer, other items that were plugged into it, and my powerbook.

The power adapter was indeed fried. Replacing it didn't solve problems, however. Apple replaced the motherboard, and it now seems to be working okay. Fortunately, AppleCare covered it.

It still bothers me that the manual is mute on this subject and even includes an illustration showing the power adapter plugged directly into the wall socket. It also seems odd to me that computers don't come equipped with surge suppressors.

Surge protectors can't handle the surges created by a close lightening strike as you learned. I doubt a surge protector would have changed your outcome.

As to why computers aren't equipped with surge protectors, that is easy. They wear out. Each time a surge is clamped, a little of its usefulness is depleted. They need to be replaced frequently.

david

It's the people who are a little eccentric who get things done.
  ~~ Ed Koch

david
[EMAIL PROTECTED]