At 1:11 PM -0400 6/23/05, Michael J. Amato wrote:
Would a lightning rod have helped?

Or is it just too much power?

There's a lot of controversy about the efficacy of lightning rods, and how they work. There are two modes of operation, based on whether it's a blunt rod or a pointed one. Some feel that the latter kind don't work as intended. To some extent I'd say the jury is out on just how much benefit you get from them, but you will get some. There's not a lot of data from systematic studies, so making a definitive statement is risky. That said, I think you'll find that most building codes still require them for public buildings of any significant height.

- web