neat work-around I like it. Yes this should work
Shaack

John Abraham wrote:

Hi There,

I install a Seagate 40 Gb HD in my Wallstreet 233 MHz plus 512 Mb of ram and had no problems with installing OS 10,1. I have 4 partitions one which is a LInux partition, now this one did prove a problem but that's another story.

The same Wallstreet now has a 300 MHz  CPU and running under 10.2.8.

One thing that I did find out is the Wallstreet is an "Old World Mac Computer", This means it is reluctant to boot from the CD drive whilst pressing the "C" key on start up.

If I remember what I had to do was as follows:

1. With the original HD in, place the OS X install CD in the CD drive. Make sure it mounts on to the desktop.

2. Go into OS 9 extensions and select "START UP DISK". When you see the options ie: HD and OSX install disc select the OS X disc and reboot. You should now be running on the OS X install disc. If I remember correctly as it is now running from the CD what you do with the HD will not affect it at the moment.

I then shut the computer down with the OS X disc still in the drive. I then changed the HD, rebooted and it still ran from the install CD.

After this I partitioned the HD with the OS X install disc, remembering the first partition has to be under 8 Gb as this is where you will install the operating system.

When you have installed your operating system just reselect start up disc from the install CD to now access the new OS X system partition and reboot.

You should now be at the administration screen of your new system. Just set the admin name and password and to the desktop you should go.

I hope those works for you as it has been a couple of years since I did it and mine has worked OK since.

Good Luck

John Abraham UK