At 09:06 AM -0400 06/23/2005, Peter Saint James wrote:
We concluded that the power adapter would protect the Powerbook from a surge. Turns out this is not true.

I have to admit that the surge to my book was a big one. A bolt of lightening hit near my house. It knocked out the surge suppressor then continued on, zapping the printer, other items that were plugged into it, and my powerbook.

ouch.  I take it you're ok?

:( I must have missed the original conversation back then.

Power Adapter vs Surge Protector vs Lightning Arrestor.

A power adapter is a simple box containing a few capacitors, a few diodes, a tiny transformer, and maybe a small fuse. It offers little to no protection against anything beyond minor surges.

A surge supressor is a fancy piece of electronics designed to smooth out (supress) the power surges that occur due to normal atmospheric interference. They are NOT designed to protect you from near-by lightning hits. eg: magnetic storm activity, power company foolin around, one too many things plugged into that old bedroom circuit.

A lightning arrestor is a large single-trip device directly connected to ground. It's purpose is to route most of a (close-by) hit's power to ground. eg: lightning rods, arrestor boxes on antennas, etc.

Another thing to think about: Surges that come up your cable coax or telephone lines. They're the #1 cause of modem death! Make sure they're grounded properly, where they come into your home. And put a surge protector between them and your computer too!

Bottom line: No matter how much you spend on surge protectors and such -- if you're in the middle of a t-storm, UNPLUG your equipment. Get off the grids!

- Dan.