At 02:39 PM -0700 06/28/2005, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Jun 28, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Jim Katz wrote:
The old iBook died and we're making the switch to OSX for the first time on
a G5 machine.

What is good photo-handling software?  We need to batch-name-change and
size-change, and basic editing.  Been using Camedia 2 and PhotoDeluxe which
lack some things but have been all we really had to have.

Graphic Converter is good, as is iPhoto. Both will come with the G5. iPhoto is more of a cataloging app, though the latest version includes considerably more editing chops.

GraphicConverter ROCKS. Besides a boatload of editing and retouching tools, it has a wonderful batch mode. It's browser is very nice too - not fancy like iPhoto's, but quite functional and fast. You keep your pictures in self-managed standard folders, then just drop them onto GC... Thorsten Lemke, GC's developer, is very active with GC. On the GraphicConverter Yahoo! Group, Thorsten helps out with difficulties, releases betas, immediate bug fixes, etc.

http://www.lemkesoft.de/

iPhoto is ok if you have a fairly small photo library and don't do much image tweaking. Nice image browser. If your library is large, tho - be careful: iPhoto has serious crash and data corruption problems with importing large (thousands) numbers of photos at once. My housemate is so impressed with iPhoto that she told me she wants it OFF her powerbook! Did I mention that GraphicConverter ROCKS!

- Dan.