On Jul 9, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Bill Briggs wrote:

There was a problem with the current version of DivX working with QuickTime 7. To fix the problem you need to download and install version 5.1.1 of DivX. Then it will work. That version is still available for download so you won't have trouble finding it. I don't know if there's an update that fixed the issue with 5.1.2 (or was it 5.2.1?). In any case, this is a known issue so you'll find lots of information on the net.

Well, I got this email after I'd made a coaster with no audio :)

so, I removed all the 5.2.1 stuff, found 5.1.1 (it's not on the divx site any more that I can see, but it's around) but still no audio.

Googling and reading forums, I need to try the ffmpegX. Ok, I get it, I install the extra components it needs, but install of ffmpegX fails, file not found /usr/local/share or something. version 't' which will fix this is forthcoming.

I like unix, I create a few directories by hand, ffmpegX version "s" now installs fine, and I'm trying again, but:

I'm not convinced that reencoding it going to be good for any quality present in the divx format, reencoding to mpeg-4 quicktime: what can I expect for changes in quality?? Should I just be working with the "large .mov" file of the Revelations to begin with, and save some hassle and CPU time? Or will I still be ahead re: quality by starting with the divx and not the .mov?

On the Dark Side (heh),I saw that you could get this for $42:
NEC ND-3540A 16x Dual Layer DVD+-RW $42 at NewEgg.com

add a $24 USB2 case for it, blow off buying Quicktime Pro, and you are only costing yourself ~$30 to get a working solution for your XP machine (in my case, my wife's laptop). You'd have to be careful with multitasking perhaps, I'm not sure about underrun protection on this drive.

I expected the Mac multimedia to Just Work, and I'm pretty disappointed in formats natively supported, etc. I thought Apple had figured out that we live in a Big World, here, finally.

Thanks for the replies so far, and for experiences with re-encoding using ffmegX or Handbrake, both of which seem popular.

Brian