On 16-Jul-05, at 02:08, Claire Hart wrote:

Sorry to be posting so many questions lately, but this real estate situation really has me trying to take my PowerBook to a new level, somewhere that I've not yet been! Regarding Virtual PC, I've read that either it's buggy with Tiger, or it doesn't yet work with Tiger. Now on to my current question:

Sorry, but I haven't been following this closely. I'm having no problems with VPC 7 and Tiger. I've got Win 98SE, 2000 Pro, XP Pro and (just installed yesterday) BeOS virtual machines on my iBook. Other than a minor networking issue that M$ is aware of, it has worked as well as on Panther for me. That is to say that it is frustratingly slow at times, but functional.

Dan & Van alluded to the use of RDC as a possible solution to my "real estate - having to get a PC computer" question. I have surfed around and googled around to learn about RDC. In the same context, VNP also usually comes up. If I used RDC, would I have to buy a PC, and then I'd leave it at the office? Then I would access it from my PowerBook? Would I still need Virtual PC running Windows to access a PC with RDC? This is a new idea for me, so I'm not very knowledgeable about it. I've found lots of forums of people asking questions.

Sure, you could do this. It effectively reduces your Mac to a terminal. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but it is certainly the idea. And it is rather wasteful as the PC must always be running, though it doesn't need to have it's monitor on. And you become reliant on having a good internet connection, the PC in the office remaining running, the office network and internet connection having the bandwidth to support this heavy use.

I do this every day for work with my 14" iBook 1.33 G4. Once I have an internet connection (33.6 modem connection or better), I connect to work's VPN, then use RDC to connect to the PC's (running 2000 Server, 2003 Server or XP) in the office. It is as if I was actually working on the PC, though full screen refreshes may take a second to 2 depending on the connection. It is possible to transfer clipboard contents between your Mac to the PC, share printers and drives, and have alert sounds come to your Mac, but all this requires more bandwidth. I have also tried VNC and found that it required too much bandwidth.

Is this going to be a good solution for you? I doubt it. It may be a stop gap measure until you get frustrated with it and either just get this all running natively on your Powerbook or if you are real stubborn, in VPC. Eventually you will come to the conclusion that time _is_ $ and are doing this to make $. You will want the fastest performing, reliable, easiest solution available. I hope that this will be your Powerbook, but unless you can get required software running natively, I honestly doubt it will be. Also, why would you want to buy a desktop PC and have the hassle of internet connection, VPN connection, and RDC connection every time you need to use it? Why not just buy a PC laptop? The total support requirements are actually reduced by using the PC laptop, and the software requirements are the same.

And just incase nobody else has mentioned it yet, you will want a complete back-up plan. Software AND hardware. Why hardware? When my Realtor's laptop was giving him troubles at 11:00 PM with deadline at 12:01 AM, he drove like a madman to his office and used a PC there to finalize documents. His preparedness got me the home and him the commission.

Sorry for going on...

Dave

--
"The code of tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding
a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

In law firms, we often try other strategies with dead horses,
including the following: buying a stronger whip; changing riders;
saying things like 'this is the way we have always ridden this
horse'; appointing a committee to study the horse; arranging to visit
other firms to see how they ride dead horses;increasing the standards
to ride dead horses; declaring that the horse is better, faster and
cheaper dead; and finally, harnessing several dead horses together
for increased speed."

        Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson, 16 February 1999, in
the courtroom after lunch on the second day of testimony from
Microsoft's Brad Chase.