On Jul 18, 2005, at 9:44 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi all,

I just joined this list with the hopes of learning more about upgrading my G3 PowerBook. It's 400 MHz and has FireWire ports, so I'm assuming it's the Pismo FireWire model (if that's not correct, please tell me!)

It currently has 64MB of memory, which I'd like to increase as inexpensively as possible. I'd also like to upgrade it to OS X. My questions are:

--Can I upgrade it to OS X? Which version is the best for this model? Do I need to do anything besides add more memory in order to do this?

I'm running 10.4.2 on mine, it's fast, reliable and I'm very happy with it. I also have 512 Mb of RAM.

--What is the minimum amount of memory I can get away with and still run OS X. My computer needs are pretty basic: cruising the Web, email, basic word processing, etc. I was thinking of adding a 256MB module, which I saw for $28.67 at macsolutionsinc.com.

That would get you going, sure.

I'm a little unclear as to how this works though. I know there are two slots. Can I keep the existing 64MB memory chip and add the 256MB module as well to bring it up to 320MB?

You definitely can.

--I have AirPort installed in this machine. Does it work with the newer wireless technology? For example, could I go into Starbucks and hook into their network using this model?

Yes, no problem. The technology used in the airport (802.11b, WEP) is still the baseline used by most of the wireless world, certainly in the public access arena.

--Can I use an iPod mini with this computer? Since I do have the FireWire port, I'm thinking that I could if I'm able to upgrade to OS X and install iTunes on my computer.

Certainly. The only iPod you'll have any issues with is the Shuffle, and then only because synching will be veerrrrrryyyyyyy slllllloooooowwwwww at USB 1.1 speed.

That said, when I got my shuffle, I hadn't upgraded my USB yet; it just took a long time to synch.

You've got a nice old Powerbook.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'