1) Yes you can... Tiger is recommended for those jumping into the fray.
Remember to do the following before installing though: Update the firmware to
the latest (I can't stress this enough), make sure you have at least 128MB of
RAM in there, and get a larger HD. I personally have a 40GB in mine from
Hitachi, and it is smooth and quiet.

2) 128MB is the minimum, although my personal minimum is 320MB. 512MB is
perfect for most use, and 1GB isn't worth the time IMO. You can grab the 256MB
module like you are thinking, which is actually what I did at first, then
swapped out the 64MB module for another 256MB module later when I needed it.

3) Yup. In fact, updating to OS X will enable more functionality on the Airport
card (WPA security which is better than WEP, newer firmware, and so on). Plus,
with it being compatible with 802.11g (Airport Extreme), you shouldn't have any
problems at all.

4) Definitely.