On 29/07/05 09:49, "Howard Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm new to owning a G4 powerbok (been a 5300c owner for years, but it
> finally died), and am in the process of tweaking my new machine, and
> Tiger.  I'd like to get some disk utilities--I've previously owned
> TechTools and was going to get the OSX version, and then saw an ad for
> DiskWarrior.
>
> Do you all recommend one over the other, both, neither?  (And while
> we're at it, what are some of your favorite add-ons and widgets?  I
> did just install Compost, since I like the idea of having more control
> over trash functions. :) )

I think they are more complementary to each other than directly competing.
TechTools is a more generic utility while DiskWarrior focuses more on disk
recovery.

That being said, I've been using OS X since the first public beta in 2001
and I've never used one or the other on 3 different Macintosh, a Blue &
White, a PowerBook Pismo and a PowerBook 17".

My all-time favorite add-ons is LaunchBar, followed by DefaultFolder X, and
ASM. TinkerTool is also a good tool if you want to change some system
settings that are otherwise difficult to change. For instance, I used
TinkerTool to specify the location of the Dock at the "start position", not
in the middle as it is by default. I put the Dock on the right side of the
screen and because of that "start position", it is located right below the
menu bar and only expend downward. So, my favorite applications that sit on
the Dock are always at the same position relative to the screen. I hate the
Dock in the middle because as you open more and more items, it stretches
left and right or top and bottom...

-Laurent.