CompUsa.com has a deal I saw on dealmac.com for a Netgear WGM124 Pre- N Wireless Router for $40 after rebate. <http://dealmac.com/ artclick.html?92380,132898>.

This router uses a preliminary version of the 802.11n standard, which provides for increased range ("up to 20%) and speeds over 802.11g. (It's backward-compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b.) Deal ends August 6.

I've been frustrated with wireless range between my SMC Barricade (g) WAP and my 15" AlBook G4 since upgarding to Tiger and Airport 4.2. Signal strength is erratic, and drops off for a minute or so pretty regularly. This is the case in particular for the location where I use my PowerBook a lot (and need wireless connectivity to the Internet).

I've tried resetting the SMC router, changing channels, power cycling it (dozens of times) and basically it's an annoyance and big time- waster. I've spent quite a few hours on the phone with their tech support (in India), and I'm convinced the easiest fix right now is the WAP and not the PowerBook since my wife's older clamshell iBook SE experiences the same signal variations and drop-offs even though it's less sensitive to therm than my PowerBook. (My guess is that the wireless signal has always had some variations, but I didn't notice them before since the signal didn't drop off completely.

So I'm considering dropping $40 on this. Even a modest boost in signal strength or range would probably take care of this problem for me. Before I snap up this deal (which expires on 8/6) I thought I'd ask a couple of questions here.

For those who have used Netgear wireless routers, what has your experience been with the device, tech support, etc.?

CompUSA is also selling the NETGEAR Wireless PC Card, Pre-N, 802.11g, 802.11b for $30. <http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp? product_code=318438&pfp=XSELLPROD&xsfrom=318446&xsdesc=Pre%2DN +Wireless+Router>

While I think I would be satisfied with improved 802.11g range/ performance, this does look tempting. However, it is listed as requiring "Windows® 2000, XP Pentium class notebook PC of 300 MHz or higher with an available PC Card slot."

Does anyone know if this means it wouldn't work with the PC Card Slot in my PowerBook, or if it's just not something they support?

Thanks!

Regards,

Harry Corsover