On Aug 16, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Andrew in Ann Arbor wrote:

G-Books wrote:

I remember some of the previous discussion. At that time I was
also trying to decide what to do. I had over 5000 in iPhoto and many
more to come as I scan old slides and negatives.

John
When you organize scanned photos in iPhoto do they all show up as the date you scanned them? The program has no way of knowing when the photo was taken. My sister is starting in on a pile of family slides and was asking about what program to use.

You're right --no way to tell the date taken and that is a different problem unless you are the person who meticulously dates slides and negatives--that's not me. And you do get the date "created"--the date scanned or if a CD--the date digitized. The first step I take before scanning is to manually sort and attempt to date as best I can using a viewer and a light box. It is a slow process but very rewarding when you see these those old images com e out of the scanner. I have a collection of about 50 years and then I will work on the old family snapshots.

I'm inclined towards Graphic Convertor <www.lemkesoft.de>.
It has a "browser" function that displays thumbnails of all the images in a folder. You can move, delete, rotate or rename in the browser window. If you open an image there are more editing functions than I can figure out. It's shareware, free to try.

I can't help much with GC--I have it but never have learned it. The key question--does it have a cataloging and find function based on key words --or as Brian said in an earlier post "using the directory/file path" words as keywords. If you don't have this ability, you end up just moving them around into different "shoeboxes". At this point, I have done about 4000 of my digital images and it is really neat to put in my granddaughter' name as the search keyword and see hundreds of her pictures sorted out which then can be sorted based on any of the file data such as date taken. iPhoto does have editing functions (I use PhotoshopElements 3) but I don't use it. I recommend PE3--great support and user's forums etc.

Since I have put Portfolio down--I will commend them on the keyword process--you can do about anything you want with it and once I learned how (little help from them or manual) it works very nicely. I use the file browser in PE3 to see what I am cataloging and what key words to use (otherwise you are working blind--working from numbers and file path info). The two work very nicely together.

I suppose I should poke around iPhoto and see if it has a similar "browser" function.
Does iPhoto offer much in the way of editing functions.

To my knowledge, iPhoto, is basically a browser--that is you can see all of your thumbnails by date/roll and if you used the keyword process--you can sort and find. Even though I used iPhoto for my digital collection--I had not been consistent with the keyword process--so now I'm doing it after the fact.

The couple of times I've opened iPhoto I've been put off by it's desire to take over the process but perhaps there's something in preferences that would allow me to browse existing folders.

I recommend you try it out--buy a book that is devoted to it and learn what it will do before putting more money into software.

I like iPhoto and have used it since inception, but I knew my needs were going to require something more. I would be happy to assist your sister if she desires it.

John

--
Andrew in Ann Arbor