On 16/08/05 11:26, "Francesco sciacca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just tried to clone a fresh Tiger install upgraded tp 10.4.2 to make
> myself a ready-to-go disk to use in emergency and I didn't succed. I then
> used Disk Utility to create a disk image of the freshly installed Tiger
> partition, then I burned it to DVD, all well. When it came to restore,
> though, it appears to do the restore procedure, but eventually the target
> partition is empty or does not appear in the startup disk preference pane.
>
> Is CCC working properly with Tiger? If yes, is it necessary to clone a "just
> installed" partition or should it be able to clone any partition as it was
> the case with Tiger?
>
> Same story for the disc image: anything I should take care of to suceed in
> creating an emergency disc? It looks as I'm doing something wrong, but I
> can't think of what.
>
> cheers,
> gianfranco

I basically did the same thing just yesterday evening (night). After trying
to copy some huge files from my internal startup partition to an external
FireWire drive and getting Finder errors about problems reading/writing some
files, I fired up my Tiger install DVD, rebooted and launched Disk Utility.
I selected my startup partition and did a disk verification. Of course, Disk
Utility found problems. I then went to repair the disk. Disk Utility started
again, found the problem and attempted to repair it, which it did not!
Moreover, it left my partition in such a state that it wouldn't mount
anymore! I had a backup from about 2 weeks ago, when I left for vacation,
but since I used my PowerBook while in vacation, I didn't want to lose what
I had, particularly emails.

So, I went to the Alsoft website and purchased DiskWarrior online. I was
able to download the application, installed it on my Tiger backup and fired
it up. I initially got a strange error message because I initially didn't
install it in /Applications/Utilities where the application expects to be.
Anyway, once I figured it out, I put it where it belongs and launched it. I
was afraid I would not be able to select my internal startup partition but
there it was. So, I clicked the repair button and after a few minutes of
work (15-20 minutes maybe), it reported that it had found the problem and
successfully fixed it. It was a problem with some directory structure, no
bad block or something like that. My partition was now mounted so I launched
Disk Utility and had it verify the disk. It didn't report any problem, so I
rebooted from it and all has been fine so far. The total cost was $87.90.

I've seen many good praises for DiskWarrior and I did mention many times
that I've never had to use such a tool but I have now to admit after using
Mac OS X for 4 years that it was a welcome help and savior. Kudos to Alsoft!

Back to the original question, after I successfully booted from my internal
startup partition and checking that everything was fine, I proceeded to
duplicate it on my external FireWire disk using Carbon Copy Cloner. There is
a documented problem with CCC under Tiger and if you try to launch it under
your own user ID, you will get some error message. Knowing this, I launched
it with 'Pseudo' under root and was able to duplicate my startup partition
without any problem.

-Laurent.