On Aug 17, 2005, at 12:43 AM, Claire Hart wrote:

To the two who suggested that I drag my photos to a CD and then burn the CD, or drag the photos to a folder, and burn that, I will tell you that I have tried to do that. However, my group of 1100+ photos is actually a compilation of photos taken by 7-8 families over the course of a basketball season. Everyone took their photos to Wal-Mart or Walgreens and then gave me the CD of their photos, and several times throughout the year as well. As a result, these photos often have duplicate numbering systems. So when I try to save them all at once, I am told that "a photo already exists with that name, and do I want to replace it?" I tried that once, and ended up with around 600 photos, so that means that about 500 of them are somehow duplicates.

This is why you should never have the only copy of a photo be the one in iPhoto.

I've not done this, and there may be an easier way, but:
I'd make a new iPhoto library of the basketball pictures. Take all your original CDs (hope you have them).

Copy them one by one to individual, nicely named, folders on your hard drive (bball-JDoe-to-May312005.

For each folder, run an app like FileWrangler or QuickName (see macupdate.com, I use FileWrangler if I need to batch rename, but I'm not sure it's the best one) to rename the files, adding a -1 or a -2 or a -3 to the files in the different directories (to make their names all unique). Use -1 only for one dir, -2 for the next, etc.

Now, you can import to iPhoto, making sure that you set the prefs to leave the original the heck alone (so your nicely named folders and files are still intact), and put a copy of the photo in the iPhoto library. Congrats, you've just doubled your use of file space, but you can still work with your photos in a sensible manner if you need to. :)

Now, if you want to select a subset in iPhoto and export it to a folder, all the names will be unique.

Is there a way to do this within iPhoto already? I think not, since you're getting the issue of duplicate filenames when you export, one would HOPE it would have renamed them -1 -2 -3 etc. on export like when you download the same file from the web with Safari multiple times, but I guess they didn't program iPhoto like that?

That's at least one way to fix your problem, perhaps not the best though. For the # of photos you have, it shouldnt be too bad.