At 01:31 PM -0600 08/17/2005, Mike K wrote:

I disagree again, peecees are thrown away because they die at an
alarming rate and the parts of the most common computers are the
cheapest low-bid parts they can find. It has nothing to do with
technology.
Macs don't die, except for CRT iMacs of course....... Macs do become
outdated but not obsolete. Peecees don't last long enough to become
outdated like Macs do.

...yer kidding right? There is a massive dose of sarcasm in there?

Actually, it matches my experience.

With only a few major exceptions
  early CRT iMacs - flyback problems and fried modems.
  early LCD iMacs - floppy gooseneck and suddenly dead pixels.

Mac hardware is MUCH more durable than PC hardware. Between my workshop here and a friend's depot (a Mac and PC repair store), we've got a lot of working Macs. Quite dirty etc, but working. Then we've got dozens of dead PCs. Fried this or that, etc.

This matches my home / personal experience too. Every Mac I've ever owned, since the 80s (Plus, II, IIci, 7100/66, 7300/120, B&W, PB 180, PB G3, PB G4, etc) are ALL still working. In the last five years alone, my housemate has killed three desktop PCs and a laptop. His 4th desktop just went to the shop yesterday for repair. His "new" (1yro) laptop has already required repair.

Don't get me wrong... I think overall software-enforced obsolescence kills off more computers than hardware failures. But it still amazes me at how fragile PC hardware is... and how willing the lemmings are to buy it.

- Dan.