On Aug 24, 2005, at 2:30 pm, bobgir2004 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I saw a noticeable improvement in speed on my Pismo as I upgraded
drives from the original to the current 7200 rpm travelstar. At least
one intermediate between the original and current, maybe more. You
should see the same unless bus speed is a factor?

You've probably seen where, on this thread, mention was made that the
faster drive will use more battery power and produce more heat.

Faster drives don't necessarily use more power or generate more heat.
Different manufacturers use different quality bearings and motors,
and drive technology is improving all the time (today's 7200 rpm
drives produce less heat/use less power than drives from only a few
years ago).

You really have to compare power consumption rates for the various
drives (heat is mostly a function of power use).

As a point of reference, I put an Hitachi 7K60 7200 rpm HD in my
Pismo. It's cooler and quieter than the original 4200 rpm OEM drive.

-Jeff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"You can't brew a premium lager with a Kool-aid mentality." --Harold
Green in _The_Red_Green_Show_